Intent and Implementation
The curriculum at Ridgeway has been developed around our whole school vision of 'Together we will . . . Think Big, Have Fun, Learn More' and is underpinned by our school values of Independence, Creativity, Resilience, Communication, Teamwork and Reflectiveness.
Our Curriculum Intentions are:
- At the core of our school is a curriculum that is built around the needs of our community, recognising each child as unique
- The staff and Governors that surround our children are strong, dedicated individuals committed to providing memorable and meaningful learning opportunities that all children enjoy
- Taking advantage of the exclusive cultural offer of Derby and Derbyshire, learning springboards from rich, hands-on experiences that allows our children to use their skills, knowledge and values in the real world
- Designed with our school values at the forefront and using ‘Big Questions’, we inspire our children to think deeper and wider as developing experts in all subject areas
- Reading is at the heart of our curriculum; all children deserve to acquire and use rich, precise vocabulary to become articulate and confident communicators
- Our children leave Ridgeway as enthusiastic, confident learners with the necessary skills to succeed in life, now and in the future
Please see below more detailed information about our curriculum content in Reception and Key Stage 1.
Children in Reception will follow the Early Years Foundation Stage [EYFS] which is a statutory framework that underpins our planning and provision. Children will have a very busy and active day in Reception and will be full of leaning opportunities both indoors and outdoors.
Children will be taught in a predominantly play based environment where learning is carefully planned to support, challenge and develop skills and knowledge in all areas of development:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
Throughout the year, children’s progress will be assessed using Early Excellence Assessment Tracker. End of year assessment judgements will be made against all 17 Early Learning Goals where children will be assessed as Emerging, Expected or Exceeding. Please follow the link to see the Early Learning Goals for all areas of learning.
Key Stage 1
Children in Y1 and Y2 will follow the National Curriculum 2014 which covers what subjects are taught and the standards children should reach in each subject. In year group teams, teachers will plan and deliver a creative curriculum with a huge emphasis on developing skills in the following subjects:
- Arts and Design
- Computing [including E-Safety]
We encourage our children to see themselves as readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, musicians, artists, historians etc. and not just simply doing English, maths, art etc. Our lessons place a great focus on ensuring children understand why they are learning a particular skill and how that that skill could be used in a particular job. This makes learning more meaningful for our children and helps to develop a love of learning!
Throughout the year, children’s progress will be assessed using O Track. End of year assessment judgements will be made in English, Maths and Science where children will be assessed as:
- Working towards the Expected Standard
- Working at the Expected Standard
- Working at a Greater Depth within the Expected Standard [except Science]
Please click here to see the progression of skills and knowledge from Reception right through to Y2 in the wider curriculum areas. If you would like any more information about our curriculum at Ridgeway, please do not hesitate to speak to Mrs K Harford-Smyth at email@example.com